Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Glamour Pup Shih Tzu: Meet Bijou

Wearing KoaBear Bandanas
For me, writing about the early days of how Bijou came to be my fur baby isn't easy for me. Bijou isn't my first Shih Tzu. Prior to her was Lola, the fluffy love of my life. Lola was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Disease at 6 months old and had passed over the Rainbow Bridge October 23, 2012 at the age of 4 1/2. To say that I was devastated is an understatement. I devoted my life to her care, making sure she was as healthy and comfortable as possible during her time with us. She was my shadow, always with me. She had to be touching me at all times. At night, I had to be facing her in bed or she would scratch at the back of my head until I rolled over! She was such a contrast from Siouxsie who is fiercely independent and not affectionate. After Lola had passed, not having that constant companionship was very difficult for me. I had hoped that maybe Siouxsie would become a little more warm towards me, but that simply was not the case.

Lola: 5/28/2008-10/23/2012
At first, I didn't think that I could possibly be ready to open my heart to another pup anytime soon. I had started on Instagram just a few months prior and because I was having such a difficult time falling asleep, I would lay in bed on my phone scrolling through Instagram until I could not keep my eyes open any longer. Even back then when the IG dog community was much smaller than it is today, I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support offered to me. These people had never met me, didn't even know me well, but they understood. The words of comfort and encouragement, and the cards and personalized gifts really helped me thorough the most difficult loss of my life.

Bijou at about 6 weeks old.
Bijou at 3 months old.
It had only taken two weeks after Lola passed that I started looking at puppies online. I felt guilty and angry that I was even looking already. Though in my heart, I knew that Lola would want me to give my love to another pup if she couldn't be physically with me anymore. At the time I wasn't as educated or aware of rescues, so for me, that wasn't really an option. I was looking at reputable breeders here in Ohio and I discovered That Puppy In the Window. There were actually 3 little females that caught my attention. One was a little red girl that the were calling, "Natasha". She would be 8 weeks old right around Christmas. She was born exactly a week after Lola had passed away. I was drawn to her and after discussing with my husband, we decided to go ahead and see about getting her.

One of her first top knots!
Watching t.v.
Bijou is a French word associated with a "jewel" or "trinket." It is also the name of a song by one of my favorite bands, "Queen." I have liked the name since I was 12 years old and thought it would be perfect for a little puppy diva. 



Bij has quite the personality. She loves people, but is very aloof with other dogs. If it wasn't apparent by her photos, she thinks she is a human girl. I truly believe that! She doesn't mind being dolled up and posing for photos as long as she doesn't have to do anything too physical. Bijou is dubbed, "the laziest lady in all the land" because she certainly is. She wants nothing more than to sleep, eat and be fawned over at all times.

FabDog Sweater

Bijou loves to chew on Whimzees and PetQwerks Flavorit bones, have me braid her luxurious hair and get back scratches from her dad. 



Fun fact: Bijou's birthday is October 30th, the day before Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment