Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Ten Tips On How To Photograph Your Dog For Social Media

This past month I finally bought myself a professional camera, (Canon Rebel t6) All the photos up until that point of the fluff crew have been produced by my iPhone. I decided to invest in a camera mainly because I am building a brand/blog/website. I still use my phone to take photos a lot of the time as well. Most pics are just what I find to be cute, mainly for Instagram. Here is a list of tips that I have personally implemented for pictures of the pups.

1) A clean and clear background is key. This can be just a plain wall, a solid sheet or wrapping paper. Just tape or tac the sheet or paper on the wall and snap away!

Bijou with a wrapping paper background.

2) Lighting is very important too. The more natural the light is, the better. I also don't use a flash. I find that the flash makes the pups eyes look strange and it also can startle them.

Natural light from window used in this pic.

3) Get down to their level. This gives your pet more of a chance to relax and for you to get the best picture of their faces.

On Lucy's "super cool" level.

4) I prefer to get in close to them as well. When I am on their level and close, I am able to get rid of distractions within the shot easier.

Up close and personal.
5) Patience is crucial. Finding the times of day that the fluff crew are calm, but not too sleepy works best. Some days I get tons of great pics, while others there aren't any. If they are getting restless or distracted- it's best to stop and then resume at another time.

Molly being calm, cool and collected.
6) I talk to and praise the girls all through our photoshoots. Sometimes I squeak toys for their attention too. It's important to make sure they know you are pleased with them and reward them for doing well at the end. I personally do not give treats throughout, but depending on your model you may need to keep those treats coming!

Sitting pretty.
7) My dogs are very lazy. They are used to and prefer to sit and look cute for their photos. If you have a more active pet, you will have even more opportunities to capture in a great pic. Anytime you can get snapshots of them running, playing outside etc. are always great.

Molly out in her yard.
8) I love props, especially if you have a fur baby that isn't keen on dressing up. I am a bargain hunter, trust me, you do not need to spend a lot of money. Here are a few of my favorite places to shop for props.
  1. Dollar stores, especially Dollar Tree. Everything at Dollar Tree is truly a dollar and they are loaded full of great decor and fun stuff especially for holiday pics.
  2. Target and Wal-Mart. The Target Dollar Spot is props gold! There are alway super cute items there that are inexpensive. 
  3. Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Burlington. I find lots of throw pillows and blankets that are perfect for the pups to lay on or beside for a pop of color. A lot of times I get the blankets in the baby section- those are obviously smaller and they cost less too. Occasionally I will find small pieces of accent furniture, decorative boxes or signs to enhance photos.
Lots of great Halloween props!
9) Snap, snap and keep snapping. You will continue to get better and better if you keep at it. My pics have continued to get better because I practice and try to learn more about photography. I have never taken a class or had someone teach me. Keep in mind that getting a great picture rarely is the first you take. The more you snap away, the better your chances are of capturing something special.

It's a lot of trial and error to get a great photo.
10) When you have a great picture to share, be sure to crop out any distracting backgrounds . It's great to utilize the editing tools that are built into your camera and social media apps to enhance your pics too!

Edit to get the best out of your photo.
Do you find these tips helpful? Do you have questions? What other tips have you found to work for you?

Miss Molly and I.

Natural light works wonders if you don't have a professional camera!



















No comments:

Post a Comment